- If you need a short intro, visit my bio page.
- If you need information on my work as a neutral, visit my JAMS page or check out my Los Angeles Daily Journal profile, The Facilitator.
- If you want more details about me, read on.
I am a retired judge from the Superior Court of California, County of Riverside. I was the first Asian/Korean-American to attain that position. I served from 2008 to 2021 in the civil, family law, and criminal divisions.
Since August 2021, I have been a mediator, arbitrator and private judge/referee with JAMS, the largest provider of private alternative dispute resolution (ADR) services. To find out more about my work with JAMS, visit the JAMS website or see their video of My Story.
JAMS is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. It’s a value we share. I’ve participated in statewide work groups to address bias in jury selection and pretrial reform, and I’m a member of the Riverside Superior Court’s Committee to Eliminate Bias & Promote Equal Justice.
I love to teach. For years, I’ve taught judges and lawyers technology, evidence, and ethics. I frequently teach law students about evidence and trial advocacy. Before I became a judge, I taught sexual assault investigators and prosecutors about interviewing children and investigating child sexual abuse. I’ve taught a few people how to program computers.
Awards and honors
- Outstanding Jurist, Leo A. Deegan Inn of Court, May 2021
- Douglas E. Weathers Award, Leo A. Deegan Inn of Court, Sep 2019
- Judicial Officer of the Year, Riverside County Barristers, May 2019
- Elwood Rich Outstanding Jurist, Leo A. Deegan Inn of Court, May 2018
- Family Law Legacy Award, Riverside and San Bernardino Bar Associations, Dec 2017
- Trailblazer Award, Asian Pacific American Lawyers of the Inland Empire, Apr 2013
Neutral, JAMS, since Aug 2021
At JAMS, I mediate civil and family law cases, including personal injury, professional malpractice, employment, contract, and real property cases. I arbitrate employment, commercial, consumer, and real property disputes. I serve as a referee/private judge for civil discovery and family law litigation.
Judge, Riverside Superior Court
Unlimited Civil Calendar, Jan 2019 to Jul 2021
I presided over hundreds of unlimited jurisdiction civil cases, from law and motion to trial, including civil rights, catastrophic injury, medical malpractice, administrative writ review, and municipal litigation.
Criminal Supervising Judge, Jan 2018 to Jan 2019
I supervised the criminal division for the fourth-largest county in the State of California, comprising 42 courtrooms and bench officers over 7,200 square miles.
Domestic Violence Calendar, Jan 2016 to Jan 2018
I presided over a high-volume criminal domestic violence calendar, about 160 cases per day.
Family Law Supervising Judge, Jan 2013 to Jan 2016
I supervised thirteen family law departments, spread over four facilities. I created several programs for self-represented litigants, which increased case settlement by about 450 cases per year. I implemented E-minders, automatic emails reminding family lawyers and law litigants of essential case deadlines. I helped develop an online application for litigants to file and respond to domestic violence restraining order requests.
Family Law Calendar, Jul 2008 to Jan 2013
I handled thousands of dissolution, domestic violence, and parental relationship hearings.
During my time in family law, I developed a reputation as someone who could speak to children about abuse and neglect.
Deputy District Attorney, Nov 1994 to Jul 2008
I prosecuted hundreds of sexual assault and child abuse felonies, including infanticide. During that time, I talked to countless child victims about sexual and physical abuse.
I prosecuted gang crimes, including murder, complex fraud and identity theft cases, and other felonies and misdemeanors.
- Mediating the Litigated Case, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, 2021
- Southwestern Law School, SCALE, Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, 1994
- DePaul University, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Theatre Studies, 1992
I have a page of lectures and slides.
- Part-time Lecturer, UCLA School of Law, Spring 2023
- Volunteer Faculty, Stanford Law School Trial Advocacy Workshop, 2019–present
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Law, Southwestern Law School, 2009–2016
- Bernard E. Witkin Judicial College Steering Committee, 2013–2021
- Governing Committee, Center for Judicial Education and Research, 2015–2021
- Mock Trial Coach, various high schools, 1994–1996, 2013–present
- Instructor, Center for Judicial Education and Research, 2013–2021
- National District Attorneys Association (NDAA), Meth and Identity Theft, 2004
- California District Attorneys Association (CDAA), child sexual abuse, domestic violence, ethics, trial advocacy, ethics, 2002–2008
- Riverside District Attorney’s Office, trial advocacy and evidence, 1999–2008
- California Sexual Assault Investigators Association, Legal Update, 2001–2008
Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Member, California Supreme Court’s Jury Selection Work Group
- Member, Chief Justice’s Pretrial Reform Operations Work Group
- Member, Committee to Eliminate Bias & Promote Equal Justice
- Participant, CJER New Judge Education Work Group
- Member, California Asian-Pacific American Judges Association
- Judicial Mentor, Asian Pacific American Lawyers of the Inland Empire
Other organizations and community service
- President, Riverside County Law Library Board of Trustees, 2020–present
- Trustee, Riverside County Law Library, 2014–present
- Board Member, California Judges Association, 2017–2020
- Judicial Council Information Technology Advisory Committee, 2015–2018
- Riverside County Youth Court, 2009–2020
- Judicial Master and Past President, Leo A. Deegan Inn of Court, 2009–2017
- Mentor, North High School Law and Protective Services Academy, 2011–2017
- Chair, CJER Technology Working Group, 2015–2017
- Riverside Ruby Users Group, 2014–2016
- Ember Riverside Meetup, 2014–2016
- Organizer, IE Django Girls, 2015
- Riverside County Mock Trial Steering Committee, 2009–2013
- Ralph N. Kleps Award Committee, 2010–2012
- Chair, Information Services Committee, Riverside Superior Court, 2011–2012
- Information Services Committee, Riverside Superior Court, 2008–2012
- CDAA High Tech Committee 2005–2008
- CDAA Sexual Assault Mentoring Program, 2004–2008
- CDAA Visual Aids Ad Hoc Committee 2000–2003